Daily Ops: Ryan Sheckler
10 Ways To Handle Crazed Autograph Seekers
The Skateboard Mag December 2006
By Rob Brink
Some pros might never know the trials and tribulations of being adored by skate fanatics all over the world. Others know all too well. Ryan Sheckler has had his share of celebrity moments and is no stranger to outrageously ravenous fans bum rushing him or enduring endless, spur-of-the-moment autograph signings. Should you ever find yourself in his predicament, here's a few tips on how to handle it all from a guy who's got it on lock:
1. Carry a Sharpie or pen as much as possible to avoid having to turn away those autograph seekers who aren't equipped with a writing utensil. You should see the look of despair on their faces when we both realize that no pen = no autograph.
2. If you want to skate without being distracted by crazed fans, don't stop moving. Sure you might get tired and wear yourself out before your contest run, but it beats getting stiff legs because you get sucked into an hour-long vortex of signing random stuff.
3. If ugly girls ask for a kiss or hug, just tell them you have the flu and don't want to get them sick.
4. If a hot girl asks for a kiss or hug, give her one.
5. If any boys happen to ask for a kiss or hug, um…tell them your girlfriend wouldn't be too stoked if she saw you kissing a guy.
6. When you finally do stop to sign a few things, you might as well have a friend bring over a beverage, a chair, and a masseuse 'cuz you're gonna be chilling for a while.
7. When the line never ends and you need to escape to take a leak or just go skate, be firm. Just hand back the pen, don't make eye contact, make a blanket apology and express your gratitude and break the hell out. Don't look back either, you wuss.
8. When people start breaking out their camera phones, digicams and the like, asking for photos with you, make dumb faces. Skaters never really know how to smile and it looks far worse than an "ironically silly" face.
9. The autograph seeker is always right…
10. And last, but certainly not least…sign anything…including female body parts!